curl-and-php

Re: Windows98, PHP, CURL

From: Csaba Gabor <keringo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:48:33 -0500

I set up Apache/PHP/Curl on my Win 98 machine.
I used the version of PHP on the german server that is located at
http://php4win.de (version 4.05) However, I suspect that it would also work
for the version of PHP that you get directly from them.
Contrary to what the instructions say, there is nothing to compile.
(In fact, I did no compilation during the installation of any of Apache,
PHP, or Curl).
I needed to do three things to enable curl once php was working with apache.
1) put php4ts.dll,SSLEAY32.dll,php_curl.dll,MSVCRT.dll,libeay32.dll into
the windows system directory (tracked these down by looking for .dll in each
of these files to see their requirements).
2) enabled the extensions line specifying curl in my php.ini file located
in my windows directory
3) somewhere (about two sections) above the line in the previous step,
there is a line specifying extension_dir (or something similar). The
default value for this is something like .\
When I got rid of that .\ curl started to work.

Some other comments.
The -I option does not work on my version of curl, either the command line
version nor the php version downloaded two weeks ago. -I and -i seem to be
synonymous, in both cases prepending the header information, but in neither
case sending only the header information.

Several command line options (such as -I) are supposed to act as toggles.
But I have not been able to understand this context because the command line
allows only for curl [options ...] url so what is the point of toggling here
(I assume I'm missing something pretty basic here).

I thought perhaps the -K config_file would be the perfect place for this
where you specify options and can place a --url WebPage, but even in this
way, I can only do a single page. It would be great if I could do sequences
of pages this way, such as
-D CookieFile
--url http://my.favorite.domain/startpage.htm
-b CookieFile
--url http://my.favorite.domain/page2.htm
Am I missing something?

Finally, I am running into a real problem for me with curl in the php
version that is not a problem in the command line version. Php is very
happy with curl until I tell it that I want to retrieve header information.
At this point, I can't seem to block the page itself from being sent to
stdout. I still have to run some more tests like perhaps directing the
output to nul, so this one is just a heads up in case someone else has run
into this.

    Sorry for any points I've missed. I'm a newbie with curl, but I love
the program. Wonderful, Fantastic.

            Csaba