curl-and-php

Re: httpd start error - php (curl) module

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 14:11:27 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Graham wrote:

[ Ok, more than a month old but I don't think anyone else has answered this ]

> PHP works fine with mysql installed - but if I try curl (with or without
> openssl) it compiles fine but httpd won't start givin:
>
> Syntax error on line 205 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> Cannot load /usr/local/apache/libexec/libphp4.so into server:
> /usr/local/apache/libexec/libphp4.so: undefined symbol: curl_global_cleanup

This is because it doesn't find/load libcurl.so, or it find an older version
of it than it requires.

> This would point to a curl compile error, but I have tried to compile
> later (and earlier) versions and both have failed....

No, it indicates a load problem. Like if you haven't made sure /usr/local/lib
is in the /etc/ld.so.conf file (if you're running Linux and installed curl in
its default install dir).

> I followed the instructions on the curl site for installing with php,
> except the bit that said:
>
> "Build PHP (In php-4.0.xpl1 directory)
>
> 1. To make -lssl comes before -lcrypto (as advised), search for
> "-lcrypto" in ./configure and put "-lssl" before it."
>
> There are many refs. to -lcrypto in ./configure and i'm not completely
> sure what is mean't by this...

The -lssl has to be before -lcrypto in all link lines. However, if that would
be the problem you'd see problems with OpenSSL symbols and not the libcurl
symbols you have problems with now.

--
     Daniel Stenberg -- curl dude -- http://curl.haxx.se/