curl-and-php

Yet Another Curl-SSL installation issue

From: Rick Cross <wolfman_at_ineedit.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:52:12 -0700

Hi Daniel and everyone else.

I'm in a bind.

To make it short, I've had to take over a commercial website that someone
else set up using PHP3, MySQL, etc and Authorize.net (much like Greg
Raver-Lampman's issue from last June.) I've had to learn PHP and MySQL in a
big hurry.

When a customer signs up, the php signup page performs several functions and
then calls authnet.pl (a perl CGI modified to work as a script) which calls
curl to make a secure connection to authorize.net, submit the transaction and
get the response which the php functions then update the customer's account.

The problem is that because the subscription system isn't working, no one is
signing up or renewing, their business has fallen off and I'm catching the
heat for it.

The server I had to move it to didn't have curl installed. And I can't get
curl-ssl installed, only the non-ssl version.

The server is running an older version of Red Hat Linux.

In talking with the hosting company, they finally gave me root access (It
isn't THAT bad, I've been with them for three years and have a number of
clients hosted with them.) But I'm very cautious about changing too much as
this is a virtual host and this box runs their secure web sites.

I couldn't install the RPM's of curl-ssl because the rpm on the server was
version 3.0. I uploaded version 4 from my box to my directory and tried to
install the RH6.2 curl-ssl RPM.

However, that RPM needs OpenSSL 0.9.5 and the server has 0.9.5a

When I run ./configure (with or without the --with-ssl directive) I get the
following (excerpted from the whole output:

checking for CRYPTO_lock in -lcrypto... yes
checking for CRYPTO_add_lock in -lcrypto... yes
checking for SSL_connect in -lssl... yes
checking for openssl/x509.h... no
checking for openssl/rsa.h... no
checking for openssl/crypto.h... no
checking for openssl/pem.h... no
checking for openssl/ssl.h... no
checking for openssl/err.h... no
checking for x509.h... no
checking for rsa.h... no
checking for crypto.h... no

Here's some of the paths that I think may help diagnose this:
/usr/src/openssl-0.9.5a
/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl/x509.h
/usr/local/ssl/bin/openssl
/usr/local/libssl.so
/usr/local/ssl/lib/libssl.a

Curl compiles just fine but with no SSL support. I.E., If I ssh into my bash
shell and type 'curl http://www.someserver.com' then curl gives me back the
html for the page. But if I type 'curl https://www.someserver.com it tells
me that SSL support has been disabled.

I've read the FAQ, installation docs and browsed the messages in the
curl-and-php archives and haven't find the solution that applies here.
Obviously configure is finding SOME of what it needs, but not the rest.

I did try using the:

CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib"
./configure

but it just leaves me at a > prompt.

So I'm hoping that someone out there can point me in the right direction.