curl-and-php

Re: cURL support in PHP

From: Thomas Bähr [Office] <baehr_at_glaswald.de>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:41:29 +0200

At 11:13 19.06.2003 +0200, you wrote:
>On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Internet Business Solutions S.L. wrote:
>
>(I'm cc'ing this reply to the curl and php list to allow someone else to
>contribute their views.)
>
> > I was wondering if you could help. I am developing a product in PHP and am
> > thinking of using the cURL extension for PHP as part of this. The thing is,
> > I really need to get some kind of idea what percentage of Unix / Linux web
> > hosts offering PHP would normally have the cURL extension enabled. Any
> help
> > you can give me would be very gratefully received,
>
>I have absolutely no idea. I am but the main author of libcurl, no one tells
>me about things like this. I don't even know much PHP... :-)

We develop application in PHP for our own services but I didnt know about
CURL before I run
into a problem with Posting data from a php application and there for found
CURL.

So my guess is if you find a hosting service which offers php the chance
that they have compiled it
with cURL support is really low under normal circumstances. Because one
would only do so
if one needs that. The main question is ... would the ISP recompile his php
just because one costumer
wants cURL support !? I dont think so.

So if you going to program an application which you want to distribute I
would only rely on function which
are standard php function and i would even work around functions which are
really new to php ... so dont
use function like array_key_exists [which came with 4.1.0] and so on ...

greets
Thomas