curl-and-php

Re: PHP/CURL recompile: RedHat or configure BUG?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 08:56:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 adamscott_at_adamscottphotos.com wrote:

> Hi, trying to recompile my php4.3.2 to support CURL, on my redhat linux box.
>
> Everything is great except for this:
>
> [from my php ./configure output]
> checking for cURL 7.9.8 or greater... configure: error: cURL version 7.9.8
> or later is required to compile php with cURL support
>
> ... ok, so I go check the version of curl and look at this:
> [root_at_ns php-4.3.2]# curl --version
> curl 7.10.4 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.10.4 OpenSSL/0.9.6e zlib/1.1.3

However strange this may look to you and others, these two 'curl' versions may
not be the same.

> Wonderful. My only guess is that the configure script is SO STUPID that it
> is doing an ASCII compare on the version strings instead of parsing it into
> 3 numbers and comparing all three.

PHP's configure script doesn't check for a curl version, it checks for a
*libcurl* version. The libcurl version configue checks for is compared against
a version number defined in one of the installed libcurl header files. At
least that is what is the recommended approach and how it did the last time I
checked.

> Anyone know what the heck is up or how to fix this? THANKS!

I suspect that you have two versions of (lib)curl installed and that the
configure script finds your older version.

If you dig around in the config.log that configure generates, you should be
able to find the test that failed and see if that offer any clues regarding to
this.