curl-and-php

Retrieving XML file through an HTTP url requiring athentication

From: <Christian_Dudek/URIEL.MC_at_URIEL.MC>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2004 10:24:25 +0100

Hello everybody and Happy New Year 2004!

I have a question for you all:

I need to retrieve an XML file from an ASP server, so that I can use it
with PHP and XSLT to use the informations the way I want.
The XML file is generated through an ASPX page under http and it need a
password to be accessible.
My problem is that if I use the address directly into my borwser like:
http : // username:passw@ www .thesite.com /ghj/trioze.aspx , my browser
displays correctly the page.
Now, using cURL with this code:

  echo "Initializing cURL session...<br>";
  $ch = curl_init("http : // www .thesite.com /ghj/trioze.aspx ");
  echo "Setting cURL options...<br>";
  //curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, "http : // www .thesite.com
/ghj/trioze.aspx ");
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_USERPWD, "username:passw");
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_FILE, $fp);
  curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_HEADER, 1);
  echo "Executing cURL options...<br>";
  curl_exec($ch);
  curl_close($ch);
  fclose($fp);

I get a 401 Acces Denied error. I know the aspx request is made through
the 'get' method. I know also that cURL is using the same method. Why does
it not work? Is there any additionnal informations I need to send with the
curl_setopt()? Maybe it is too obvious and I am not getting it.
If anybody can help, that would be fantastic!

Many thanks anyway!

Christian