curl-and-php

Newbie needs help with cURL : missing php_curl.dll?

From: Kahren Arzoumanian <kahrena_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 19:21:42 -0800 (PST)

hi,

to start I am a newbie. I am running PHP5 and Apache 2.2 and need to have cURL running to execute a sample app.
I have ascertained that both libeay32.dll and slleay32.dll are installed in WINNT\system32 folder.
php_curl.dll is not installed
php.ini does not include extension=php_curl.dll statement commented out or not

I spent several hours reading everything and anything available on the web. I
I have downloaded cURL 7.17.1 from http://curl.haxx.se/download.html but it seems I need to compile. I do not have a compiler and would prefer not to get into compiling...

My questions which I would extremely appreciate the help with are:
1) where would I get php_curl.dll?
2) why didn't PHP5 install it?
3) assuming I get a copy of php_curl.dll, what and where exactly do I need to add in php.ini

Thanks in advance!
Kahren