curl-and-php

Re: Curl or Java or ??

From: Morgan Galpin <morgan_at_atsourceinc.ca>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:01:55 -0800

Hi David,

I don't know what communication protocol your host terminal emulator
uses to connect to your company's system. My first guess would be that
it uses telnet, but that seems like it would be too insecure for a
company to consider using over the internet. According to cURL's
documentation, it does support the telnet protocol, but that is as much
as I know. If cURL supports it, PHP/libcurl probably supports it. As far
as I know, telnet is a raw TCP/IP connection, so the actual commands and
data sent back and forth from your company's machine you would have to
decipher.

Look at the page source for the page that loads the applet(?) and see if
there is a parameter indicating which host and port the terminal
connects to and try to figure out what form of authentication it uses.
If you can't find what you're looking for, you could try a sniffer
program like Ethereal. Look at what data is being sent and received and
try to figure out where your computer is connecting and the protocol
being used. If the communication is encrypted, likely via SSL, the
protocol will be more difficult to determine.

I hope that helps,
Morgan Galpin.