curl-and-php

PHP/cURL Performance Question

From: LovinItAll <lovinitall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:37:41 -0600

Hi all,

I am using PHP/cURL in a script that currently is designed to reside on a
client's PC with Apache or IIS running. Of course, I can run the same script
from one of my dedicated servers. Here's my question:

- When I run the script from a local machne under Apache, script execution
time is +/- 15 seconds with *x* records. The bulk of the time (+95%) is
spent on PHP/cURL requests. All of the requests are sent to the same server.
My upstream locally is about 1.5mbps, downstream = +/- 8mbps.

- My remote server is on a dedicated, synchronous 100mbps port. It takes the
same amount of time to execute the script on my remote server as from my
local machine. Not only that, I have clients who have much slower internet
connections (dsl, etc.). The script takes much longer to execute on their
machines, even when they run the script from my server.

Why? Or more importantly, how can I take advantage of my dedicated server's
speed when running a script that uses PHP/cURL? Maybe I'm missing something
here, but I thought the script would simply use my server's pipe, but
apparently it isn't, and I don't want my user's handcuffed based on their
internet connction.

Just a note: If I download a 250mb file from my server, I receive it at
nearly 8mbps, so I know the upstream from my server is 'as adverised'. Any
help or suffestions would be appreciated. Please ask if you need
clarification of my issue. I think I've made it clear, but I'm pretty close
to the trees right now.

Thanks,

Lee