curl-and-php

Re: PHP/cURL Performance Question

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:59:55 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, LovinItAll wrote:

> - When I run the script from a local machne under Apache, script execution
> time is +/- 15 seconds with *x* records. The bulk of the time (+95%) is
> spent on PHP/cURL requests. All of the requests are sent to the same server.
> My upstream locally is about 1.5mbps, downstream = +/- 8mbps.

curl does nothing special nor magic when it downloads files. It parses the
URL, resolves the host name, connects to the remote server and then gets the
content.

If that is slower than expected, you need to start tracking down where the
problem is. You need to investigate what specific parts of the transfers that
take a long time and then figure why and what to do about them!

libcurl is known to be blazingly fast on many places so I don't think your
problems are due to internal bad designs or bad code, but instead is a sign of
something that is weird in your environment or network setup.

Good luck!