curl-and-php

Re: curl 7.18 & PHP

From: Nicholas Saraniti <nick_at_commcarepharmacy.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 18:09:29 -0400

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Nicholas Saraniti wrote:
>
> We have a RHEL4 Box running Zend Core 2/php 5.2.4/libssh2 0.17/x86_64.
> > The default RHEL curl install is 7.12.
> >
> > We have installed libssh2 on the box.
> >
> > We want to upgrade curl to 7.18 in order to access curl's new SFTP
> > options. If I uninstall the current 7.12 rpm's, and manually download and
> > install source for 7.18 (I don see any RHEL4 x86_64 rpms), will I have to
> > make any changes to PHP itself?
> >

> I haven't checked how the PHP code is made, but assuming that they just
> pass on the URL to libcurl it should "Just Work" as your new libcurl will
> then support SCP:// and Sftp:// URLs and thus so should the PHP curl
> binding.
>
> Possibly the main obstacle you'll find is that your libcurl version bump
> will change soname number of the libcurl.so file so you may need to do a
> symlink from the old number to the new.
>
> Or will doing this break the Zend supplied curl module?
> >

> I don't see how it would.
>
> If so, is it possible to have a second curl install with the newer
> > libraries available alongside the 7.12? I could always just run the curl
> > command from an exec call.
> >

> Oh certainly, you can build curl with configure --prefix to install in a
> totally separate place and you can have as many installations as you like
> next to each other in parallell!
>
> Zend refuses to offer any support on this issue even though we have a
> > paid support plan.
> >

> That sounds strange!
>
> --
> Commercial curl and libcurl Technical Support: http://haxx.se/curl.html

Thanks for the reply... Interestingly i did a find for my current libcurl.so
and it appears that maybe zend core utilizes it's own install of curl
separate from the RHEL4 install:

Any ideas?
[root_at_commcarepharmacy ~]# find / -name libcurl.so*
/usr/lib64/libcurl.so.3
/usr/lib64/libcurl.so.3.0.0
/usr/lib64/libcurl.so
/usr/lib/libcurl.so.3
/usr/lib/libcurl.so.3.0.0
/usr/local/Zend/Core/lib/libcurl.so.2.0.2
/usr/local/Zend/Core/lib/libcurl.so.4.0.0
/usr/local/Zend/Core/lib/libcurl.so.2
/usr/local/Zend/Core/lib/libcurl.so.4
/usr/local/Zend/Core/lib/libcurl.so

--