curl-and-php

Re: curl 7.18 & PHP

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 16:50:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008, Nicholas Saraniti wrote:

> We have a RHEL4 Box running Zend Core 2/php 5.2.4/libssh2 0.17/x86_64. The
> default RHEL curl install is 7.12.
>
> We have installed libssh2 on the box.
>
> We want to upgrade curl to 7.18 in order to access curl's new SFTP options.
> If I uninstall the current 7.12 rpm's, and manually download and install
> source for 7.18 (I don see any RHEL4 x86_64 rpms), will I have to make any
> changes to PHP itself?

I haven't checked how the PHP code is made, but assuming that they just pass
on the URL to libcurl it should "Just Work" as your new libcurl will then
support SCP:// and Sftp:// URLs and thus so should the PHP curl binding.

Possibly the main obstacle you'll find is that your libcurl version bump will
change soname number of the libcurl.so file so you may need to do a symlink
from the old number to the new.

> Or will doing this break the Zend supplied curl module?

I don't see how it would.

> If so, is it possible to have a second curl install with the newer libraries
> available alongside the 7.12? I could always just run the curl command from
> an exec call.

Oh certainly, you can build curl with configure --prefix to install in a
totally separate place and you can have as many installations as you like next
to each other in parallell!

> Zend refuses to offer any support on this issue even though we have a paid
> support plan.

That sounds strange!