curl-and-php

Re: Linux Curl PHP problem

From: DreamSight <webmaster_at_dreamsight.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 13:22:20 +0100

Hi Etienne
            And Thank you for that (will try it on a new install), I am used to compiling things once then adding plugins or libraries (apart from scripts)! finding this extremely fascinating having to recompile something every time you add a new service like curl! (and in different parts of the system) I am used to *.EXE land..... I know my way around a windows server and i program in C++ and Perl but the Unix/Linux machine is a completely new beastie to me, even although Perl (in particular) started out here........

Please excuse me and my ignorance at the moment, still trying to understand the logic behind (what appears "to me") to be an illogical Unix folder structure! so very much a newbie on this level, although slowly becoming clear in some area's now.

anyway........

could not find curl in phpinfo (at all) so i cheated on this one and installed cpanel and got it to do it:) and it now works:~) Just needed to get this one working fairly rapid.

i am getting another machine at home and going to install Linux on it so I will be in contact again (without a doubt) if you all don't mind! in the meantime........

which flavor of Linux would you recommend? i.e. CentOS, Ubuntu, Fedora, Slackware, Debian! I thought of getting CentOS (Again) because it is on my server machine but if there is something better or recommended I will try that.

Paul