curl-and-python

RE: Function to retrieve mulltiple URLs asyncrously

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 14:01:21 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, Kjetil Jacobsen wrote:

> that code is part of an outer loop which subsequently calls info_read and
> select. this whole procedure (perform, info_read, select) is done until
> there is no more work to do.

Ah, ok. I missed that. info_read should however only be necessary if there
actually is one or more transfers that completed.

> one thing though -- the code does a select(..) without at timeout, so unless
> there is activity on the file descriptors this will block infinitely. is
> this harmless or does the multi api assume that select times out
> periodically?

You need to call it periodically to allow it to do its timers and things.

An future libcurl release will feature a curl_multi_timeout() that'll let you
know the longest possible time you should wait before calling libcurl again
(unless action was detected on the sockets of course).