curl-and-python

Re: Resolve host problem with proxy and SSL

From: Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer <markus_at_oberhumer.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 16:12:45 +0100

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, samg samg wrote:
>
>> When i get a page from an internet site by a proxy,
>> it's ok with the No-SSL version :
>> debug(0): About to connect() to proxy port 8080
>> debug(0): Trying x.x.x.x...
>> debug(0): connected
>> debug(0): Connected to proxy (x.x.x.x) port 8080
>> debug(0): Proxy auth using Basic with user 'XXXXX'
>> debug(2): GET
>> http://www.python.org/pics/PyBanner049.gif HTTP/1.1
>> debug(1): HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>>
>> But with the SSL version :
>> debug(0): Could not resolve host: www.python.org
>> (Domain name not found)
>> debug(0): Closing connection #0
>>
>> What's the problem ? (I suspect c-ares)
>

> Since it complains on "www.python.org" it indicates that you've failed
> to use your proxy properly as I doubt you use www.python.org as your
> proxy. libcurl should only need to resolve your proxy name.
>
> Why do you suspect c-ares?

That's a valid suspect because the prebuilt win32 plain pycurl is linked
against libcurl only, while pycurl-ssl includes all features (libcurl,
openssl, zlib, c-ares & libidn). [All libraries are statically linked
in, so there's no need for any third party dlls]

Markus

--
Markus Oberhumer, <markus@oberhumer.com>, http://www.oberhumer.com/