curl-and-python

Re: hang in post with authenticating proxy

From: Andrew Bushnell <awb_at_fluent.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:35:36 -0400

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Andrew Bushnell wrote:
>
>> Has anyone experienced any problems or know of any bugs? Again, it is
>> a squid 2.5 server using NTLM authentication.
>

> No, I'm not aware of any bugs that would explain this behaviour. To me,
> it looks like the proxy doesn't respond properly.
>
>> I am looking at emulating my python via the 7.14 curl to see if I can
>> replicate it natively and hopefully gain some insight that way.
>

> Sounds like a good idea. My advie is to use the --trace-ascii option
> (and I bet there's a fine pycurl equivalent too that you can use in your
> program to get some further details on the "hang").
>
> Possibly you can use strace and/or ethereal to understand exactly at
> what point it stops.

Thanks for the pointers, I will take a look. I have, however, found part
of the problem and have now gotten around the hang. I was able to
replicate this using curl.exe on the command line. It has to do with the
fact that as part of my own headers I was specifying as part of my post,
one of the headers was 'Content-length'. Even though this length was
correctly set, its specification was somehow intefering with the NTLM
negotiating that was going on. By not specifying this header and letting
libcurl build it itself, things worked fine. I have updated my code and
  have gotten further along.

Thanks again.

--
Andrew Bushnell