curl-and-python

Re: Proxy connect errors

From: Andrew Bushnell <awb_at_fluent.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2005 10:36:12 -0400

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Andrew Bushnell wrote:
>
>> Much better, the latest snapshot seems to fix the issue
>

> Cool. Thanks for verifying!
No problem, thanks for fixing it :-)

>> however, I found a related problem now. This code works fine as long
>> as I use --proxy-ntlm on the command line. If I use --proxy-any then
>> things do not work. I can spend time debugging if that would be
>> helpful, but as long as I pre-specify that I use NTLM, then it is
>> fine. Anyway, the latest snapshot seems to now work and I am not
>> getting any connection problems using the command line curl that I
>> built from the latest snapshot.
>

> Hah, well I don't know if you are the one who posted the bug tracker
> entry, but we just today got a bug report with the subject "HTTP proxy
> tunneling with NTLM proxy authenticate won't work":
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1233264&group_id=976&atid=100976
>

> I suspect it is exactly the case you describe above, which boils down to
> the fact that the proxy closes the connection after the first CONNECT
> response and libcurl doesn't deal with that and bails out.
>
> This bug tracker entry problem is a much bigger internal architectural
> problem within libcurl, and while I've slowly started to address this,
> it will require a rather big shake-around and I don't know when I'll be
> able to provide a fix for this. Expect it to take at least a week,
> perhaps a month. Or so. (Of course someone else could beat me to it, but
> I consider that very unlikely.)

I cannot take credit for the bug entry.
What we do in our application is 2 things before calling into pycurl:

#1: We have gui that has the user enter there proxy information, part of
which is the "type" if they know it.

#2: I have my own logic to "ping" the proxy to get the authentication
type if the user is unable to determine it.

In either case, the user choice/determination gets translated into the
appropriate proxy authentication type setting for pycurl to use and
avoids the problem.

--
Andrew Bushnell