curl-and-python

Re: Proxy connect errors

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 16:14:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005, Andrew Bushnell wrote:

> Much better, the latest snapshot seems to fix the issue

Cool. Thanks for verifying!

> however, I found a related problem now. This code works fine as long as I
> use --proxy-ntlm on the command line. If I use --proxy-any then things do
> not work. I can spend time debugging if that would be helpful, but as long
> as I pre-specify that I use NTLM, then it is fine. Anyway, the latest
> snapshot seems to now work and I am not getting any connection problems
> using the command line curl that I built from the latest snapshot.

Hah, well I don't know if you are the one who posted the bug tracker entry,
but we just today got a bug report with the subject "HTTP proxy tunneling with
NTLM proxy authenticate won't work":

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1233264&group_id=976&atid=100976

I suspect it is exactly the case you describe above, which boils down to the
fact that the proxy closes the connection after the first CONNECT response and
libcurl doesn't deal with that and bails out.

This bug tracker entry problem is a much bigger internal architectural problem
within libcurl, and while I've slowly started to address this, it will require
a rather big shake-around and I don't know when I'll be able to provide a fix
for this. Expect it to take at least a week, perhaps a month. Or so. (Of
course someone else could beat me to it, but I consider that very unlikely.)