curl-and-python

Re: curl-and-python Digest, Vol 5, Issue 4

From: Alexander Belchenko <bialix_at_ukr.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 19:30:40 +0300

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 20:31:26 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
> Subject: Re: PyCurl on win32: fails to initialize when machine offline
>
> On Mon, 24 Apr 2006, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>
>> PyCurl used in bzr (Bazaar-NG) DRCS. I try to test it on windows machine
>> and got strange results: when my machine is offline (disconnected from
>> Internet) then PyCurl does not want to work. Here small example that

>> pycurl.error: initializing curl failed
>
>> Is this intended behaviour or I need to make some additional settings to
>> force PyCurl works in offline environment?
>
> No it is not intended. Is this libcurl version perhaps built with c-ares
> support? Either way, what version of libcurl is this using?

Yes. I try to use PyCurl package for win32 (from http://pycurl.sf.net)
with built-in ares,ssl and zlib. I found document Known Bugs on the curl
  site that has this explanation:

32. (At least on Windows) If libcurl is built with c-ares and there's no
DNS server configured in the system, the ares_init() call fails and thus
curl_easy_init() fails as well. This causes weird effects for people
who use numerical IP addresses only.

I think this is the explanation for my problem.

I uninstall pycurl+ares+ssl+zlib and install basic pycurl. Basic pycurl
library works without errors when machine is offline.

Can I ask: why for needed ares and ssl? Is this library necessary for
plain HTTP access?

--
Alexander