curl-and-python

Re: PyCurl on win32: fails to initialize when machine offline

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:13:26 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Alexander Belchenko wrote:

(Please use a sensible subject when you send mails to the list)

> Yes. I try to use PyCurl package for win32 (from http://pycurl.sf.net)
> with built-in ares,ssl and zlib. I found document Known Bugs on the curl
> site that has this explanation:
>
> 32. (At least on Windows) If libcurl is built with c-ares and there's no
> DNS server configured in the system, the ares_init() call fails and thus
> curl_easy_init() fails as well. This causes weird effects for people
> who use numerical IP addresses only.

I know about that one since I wrote that piece of text. ;-) And that's why I
asked you about these details.

> I think this is the explanation for my problem.

That explanation says that when _no_ DNS server is found it fails. It does not
say this happens when you're "offline".

I'm not familiar with Windows enough (to read ares_init.c and) to tell if this
is the case anyway. Are you?

> Can I ask: why for needed ares and ssl? Is this library necessary for plain
> HTTP access?

Ares and SSL are not needed for plain HTTP.