curl-and-python

Re: PyCurl on win32: fails to initialize when machine offline

From: Alexander Belchenko <bialix_at_ukr.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 21:11:47 +0300

> Message: 3
> From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
> Subject: Re: PyCurl on win32: fails to initialize when machine offline

> On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, Alexander Belchenko wrote:
>
> (Please use a sensible subject when you send mails to the list)

Sorry for that.

>> Yes. I try to use PyCurl package for win32 (from http://pycurl.sf.net)
>> with built-in ares,ssl and zlib. I found document Known Bugs on the curl
>> site that has this explanation:
>>
>> 32. (At least on Windows) If libcurl is built with c-ares and there's no
>> DNS server configured in the system, the ares_init() call fails and thus
>> curl_easy_init() fails as well. This causes weird effects for people
>> who use numerical IP addresses only.
>
> I know about that one since I wrote that piece of text. ;-) And that's why I
> asked you about these details.

Oh.

>> I think this is the explanation for my problem.
>
> That explanation says that when _no_ DNS server is found it fails. It does not
> say this happens when you're "offline".

Well, probably when I connect to my dial-up internet provider there is
DNS from provider. My home machine is alone machine and I think I don't
need to have DNS for usual work.

> I'm not familiar with Windows enough (to read ares_init.c and) to tell if this
> is the case anyway. Are you?

Well, I'm also not expert in this thin details. And unfortunately I'm
don't inclined to dig this problem further at this moment. I only need
to determine what package should be shipped with bzr.

>> Can I ask: why for needed ares and ssl? Is this library necessary for plain
>> HTTP access?
>
> Ares and SSL are not needed for plain HTTP.

Glad to hear. Then I use basic pycurl without ares and therefore avoid
initialization problems with ares and DNS.

Thank you.

--
Alexander