curl-and-python

Re: How to compile pycurl library correctly on win32?

From: Oleg Pudeyev <oleg+pycurl_at_bsdpower.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 15:17:30 -0500

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 12:53:40 +0800
Maosheng Chen <maosheng.chen_at_ubisoft.com> wrote:

> We downloaded pycurl.pyd from here:
> http://pycurl.sourceforge.net/download/00-OLD-VERSIONS/pycurl-ssl-7.16.4.win32-py2.4.exe,

This version of pycurl is 7 years old. You may be trying to find a bug
that has already been found and fixed. Pycurl is mostly backwards
compatible and still supports python 2.4, therefore the first thing I
suggest you do is build the *current* version of pycurl against python
2.4 and see if your crash goes away.

> Currently we encounterd a crash inside pycurl.pyd, but no
> corresponding symbol file to be traced, so we would like to know how
> to compile pycurl library on win32.

The documentation included in the current release has extensive
compilation/installation instructions for windows.

> just directly installed to python24 folder without compilation, the
> size of this pycurl.pyd is 861KB.

> But the size of pycurl.pyd
> is totally different, the release version is 254KB and debug version
> is 517KB.

Does the 800 kb binary statically link to openssl?

The likelihood of you using identical options and configuration to the
ones used to compile a 7 year old release is very slim. Pycurl has
several options, libcurl has yet more options, the ssl library being
used has still more options, and they can all be combined statically or
dynamically. All in all there are a *lot* of possible combinations.

If your newly built pycurl.pyd works with your application, and
crashes, use the new binary and the corresponding symbols to debug the
crash.

Oleg