Re: Thoughts on Implementing Persistant Connection Support

From: Bjorn Reese <breese_at_mail1.stofanet.dk>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 18:30:56 +0000

Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> 2. An option to determine the strategy used to close persistant connections.
> Strategies can be to close
> o the oldest (from its creation date)
> o the least recently used
> o the one with least traffic
> o round-robin, random, etc.

On second thought, random is probably not a good option. However, I have
two other suggestions.

First

  o slowest transfer rate

This is probably a two-edged sword. If the bandwidth is available, then
a slow connection can often be alleviated by re-opening the connection.
If not, it is probably better to keep the connection open, because it
will take long to re-open.

Second

  o user-defined

By letting the application determine (through a callback or by assigning
priorities to connections) which connection to close, more "intelligent"
strategies, based on statistics or similar, could be built.

> * Linked list/reallocated array for keeping connections?

Reallocated array is probably simpler, since its size is specified through
an option.

> * We should safely rely on the fact that the function sequence will *always*
> only be one function invoked at a single time using the same curl handle.
> This will be documented, any simultaneous use of the same handle will give
> unknown results.

Agreed.