Re: Can't view strange Java URL with Curl. Is it possible?

From: Nick Chirca <terra_at_vl.ro>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 22:47:54 +0200 (EET)

> > But I just wanted to tell you guys that yes, it seems that curl is
> > messing with the received data...
>
> Let's not mix curl with curl here. I'm not a fan of general statements like
> this.

Well, I'm sorry if I said something stupid, especially if this hurt your
feelings. It may be my English and the fact that I didn't think much on
how to say that politely... Curl (libcurl) has helped me a lot and I thank
you Daniel and other guys that helped at this project. It was not my
intent to offense any of you. I was just trying to a report a problem, to
say that what the persons who reported that he gets the HTML code altered
is not the only one and that I was facing the same problem.

> Curl, as in the command line tool, has not been reported to be "messing with
> the received data" the last couple of years. curl as in libcurl used from
> lots of different languages using various APIs have not been reported to do
> so either.

Well, it may be my fault, but in my case, something really strange do
happen. I got the HTML code into a perl array and print it out to a
file. When checking the file, an extra space appears there.

>All these versions of curl are being used extensively, every day,
> by thousands of users (hundreds of them being subscribed to these mailing
> lists). I don't think you can say that "curl is messing with the received
> data" in these cases.

:-)
I certainly cannot... I can only observe that the libcurl I am/was using
may have some problems, problems that another user has reported too.

> Your particular case, however, which is using the libcurl interface code for
> perl seems to indicate that there are problems.
>
> > and another problem I have to monetion here is....
> >
> > I was doing:
> >
> > $url="http:\/\/www.somesite.com\/script.pl?page="
> > for ($i=1;$i<430;$i++){
> > $nurl="$url$i";
> > --
> > get_with_curl ($nurl)
> >
> > }
> >
> > The problem is that curl crashed a few times (many times), during this
> > loop.
>
> Please! What kind of wizards do you think we are? How on earth are we gonna
> find (or even correct) any problems in such an obscure piece of code?

Well, I wasn't asking for support here, because it wasn't that urgent. I
was only reporting a problem that I am facing. If I wanted help, I would
have included the exact code, which I will be doing once I can use the
computer that curlib is installed (I can't include the code now, because i
can't access it, and I couldn't when I wrote the first email either),

> What did the code look like? "crashed", what does that mean?

The perl interface didn't report any errors, no warnings. The code was
working fine, but at some point the page to be downloaded didn't get
through (no, the internet access was still ok). Unfortunately, I didn't
use the curlib verbose option.. I only stoped the script and started if
again, from the page that I couldn't receive.

>What can you dig up with a debugger?

There was no error message, no warning message.

> > Fortunately, I was able to see what $i was and start over from that $i
> > and continue. But after some pages were downloaded, the crash appeared
> > again... and so on until I downloaded all the pages...
>
> This may come as a surprise, but I don't spend all these hours on this
> project just because I like getting a few hundreds emails per day. I honestly
> try to correct problems, add features and "support" people that need it.

And you did that for me too... which I tahnk you for.

> But I need you to do your part. I need your help to help you.

I am aware of this too....

> There's no point at all to tell people that "it crashes". What are we gonna
> do with that information?

If I wanted an urgent support, I mean if I wanted your help, I would have
included more details, including the code, which I will be doing when I
really need help. Yes, I think that happened to me was pretty strange. And
believe me, before I write to the list asking for help, I always try to
solve the problem by myself, trying it for more than one time and
researching by myself. I did this when I had that space problem and the
other problem when trying to download the HTML pages. And I did look
through the perl code at least 10 times, carrefully, to see if it's
actually my fault... but I coudln't find anything that I did (or
didn't) to cause these problems to appear... the again, it may be my
fault, but since similar things happened to another user, I wanted to
report the problems I have, not (only) because I wanna be helped, but
also because if there's a problem in libcurl, we have to find it together
so that the other users of libcurl won't experience these problems
anymore.

And again, if I offensed you in any way, I apologize.

--
Nick...
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice !"