Re: SSLv2 and certificate verification

From: Cris Bailiff <c.bailiff+curl_at_awayweb.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 08:47:45 +1000

The site is using a 'chained' or 'intermediate' certificate, as is usual with
verisign 'global' certificates. (The site cert is signed by a 'Verisign Trust
Network' cert, which is in turn signed by the Verisign root key in the ca-bundle
file.)

ssl2 doesn't support certificate chaining, that features is only in ssl3 and
above, so the certificate chain can't be verified when using ssl2.

Don't use ssl2 - there's no good reason if you have ssl3 capable software (and
you almost always do) - ssl2 is broken in plenty of other ways too.

Cris