Re: test wrappers for solaris

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 08:12:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004, Joe Halpin wrote:

> Solaris has a built-in memory checking facility (watchmalloc) that works
> very well (I've found some exceptionally clever bugs at work with it).
> However it makes things run *really* slow. I've been fiddling with
> Makefile.am to try to include it for Solaris as an option, but it always
> winds up checking memory for every perl script run (including the servers).
> It just takes too long that way. It just took about an hour to get to the
> first test case.

Then you fiddled in the wrong Makefile.am! ;-) You should probably only make
use of it when you create the 'curl' tool with the final link, so you should
only need to edit src/Makefile.am to make it happen.

Optionally, you could do it like I've made the test-script detect the presence
of 'valgrind' (a memory checking tool on Linux) and then switch on its use
run-time. I noticed you can enable watchmalloc at run-time by using
'LD_PRELOAD=watchmalloc.so.1'. This wouldn't require curl to be relinked for
watchmalloc to work.