Re: TclCurl: ftpssl option: where to find an SSH library?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:42:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, stefano federici wrote:

> > This host is running a SSH server on port 22. SSH != FTPS.
>
> Sorry, I guess this last reply means that I shouldn't have bothered you with
> my troubles...

Not for doing FTPS-transfers anyway! ;-)

> the fact is that before starting to look for an FTPS library (hopefully with
> TCL bindings) I was using the "SSH Secure File Tranfer Client" that when
> starts says "defaultsftp", so I thought that WAS SFTP.

If you read that sentence again you should be able to notice something: SFTP
!= FTPS.

What they call SFTP is a FTP-lookalike thing over the SSH-protocol. I don't
know much about the protocol details on it though.

What we call FTPS is basicly FTP operations secured by SSL/TLS.

> So I'll keep bothering you for the very last time to know if there is anyone
> that knows of a free ready-to-use library to connect to the vaxca1.unica.it
> server and to upload files to it.

One blue-sky vision is that libcurl can do that one day. If I were to write
the code today, I would start at downloading OpenSSH and researching how that
can be used for such a purpose.

> I checked for Putty and similar clients, but them all seem to provide an
> interactive shell (but I want to realize a programmatic and unassisted file
> transfer, with no user interaction).

'ssh', 'scp' and 'sftp' from OpenSSH can all do "unassisted file transfers" if
you only create a key without a password. Which is bad securitywise.