Re: Problems with libcurl, OS X, and curl_off_t (or : What's My Size?)

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 20:52:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Ryan Wilcox wrote:

> This is why I needed to patch config-mac.h -- because I can't assume that
> everybody is going to be using configure/make/make install. You could be
> using XCode, or even Codewarrior on OS X.

But why would all those people need to build libcurl from source?

And even if they do feel the urge, I still think that documenting our way is
better than offering just another way that'll require manual editing for the
rest of the curl project's life time and thus is doomed to lag behind.

>> Isn't off_t already a long long on OS X?
>
> No, it's an off_t.

off_t is not a native C variable type. If you grep your system headers I'm
sure you'll find the typedef of off_t...

> I'm 99% sure it's an off_t even using the traditional configure/make/make
> install development approach, because of what the curl.h header does (it
> looks for GCC running on Windows, and not the Borland compiler. If those
> conditions are met then curl_off_t is a long-long. Else it assumes normal
> posix and sets to an off_t.)

Yes, but that's only to properly support platforms using 32 bit off_t types.
On Mac OS X - and most other recent operating systems - off_t is a long long.