Re: Lib Curl not uploading file while FTPS

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel-curl_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 11:37:26 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, vamsi wrote:

> I am seeing "Starting Data transmitters" in the log of my wrapper,but in
> here in lib-curl i see it is trying to hanshake with server on the
> data-channel,may be this is creating some problems? Does every FTPS Server
> has to handshake before the data connection as well? If so this is probably
> a problem with Wrapper i belive because it is not responding to the request.
> :-/

The FTP protocol uses a second connection for the data transfer (see RFC959).
When using FTPS, that data connection can be using SSL or not. libcurl will
always tell the server to use SSL, and if the servers responds "OK" libcurl
will use SSL for it. See:

         http://curl.haxx.se/rfc/draft-murray-auth-ftp-ssl-15.txt

Yes, then it will "handshake" the data connection after the TCP connect as it
needs to setup the SSL layer as well.

> In such a Can i be suggested a java-based FTPS Server where the lib-curl
> works fine.

I can only point out the best FTPS-related link collection I know of:

         http://www.ford-hutchinson.com/~fh-1-pfh/ftps-ext.html

> Well with edt-ssl library that i have been mentioning before, i was setting
> the mode to be PASV.I think lib-curl also does that as well??

Yes it does.

If you had read your own logs you already mailed here, you'd know that libcurl
first tries EPSV and then PASV, but that has nothing to do with your problem
here (and no, your server doesn't understand EPSV).