Re: configure script adds user's LDFLAGS to curl-config

From: Bryan Henderson <bryanh_at_giraffe-data.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 03:12:03 +0100

>> As a result of this, my LDFLAGS are added in curl-config, so that
>> `curl-config --libs` returns flags which I used to build libcurl. Isn't that
>> wrong?
>
>Perhaps, but the configures script cannot (currently) tell what of the given
>options that are required for libcurl to get built and what options that are
>needed for apps that use libcurl to get built.

>Any suggestions on how to fix?

For starters, I would make LDFLAGS not affect curl-config --libs . I
see LDFLAGS as a request to sidestep the normal configure intelligence
and throw extra options onto a link command in a libcurl build.
Configure shouldn't do anything else with it.

To really fix it, we need configure options that explicitly supply the
required information. I suggest --extralibs, meaning "Linker options
necessary to include libraries in the link that resolve symbols to
which libcurl refers, and not covered by any more specific option."

Or wait until we have an actual example of a needed extra library and
make an option for that.

--
Bryan Henderson                                    Phone 408-621-2000
San Jose, California