Re: RFC on sftp

From: Tor Arntsen <tor_at_spacetec.no>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:44:20 +0100

On 11/7/06, Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Nov 2006, James Housley wrote:
>
> > Should I create an interface that uses the same basic commands, where
> > appropriate, for sftp?
>
> Personally, I would be happy with just being able to transfer files and to
> list directories. I think no matter what we decide, it would make sense to get
> that part working first anyway and then work on the rest.

What we (where I work) use with ftp is to either upload to one directory and
rename (i.e. move) the file to another dir afterwards, or upload with
a temporary
name and then rename to its final name. All in order to have atomic insertion
of the file at its destination, to avoid race conditions for whatever is polling
the (its) incoming directory. That's about what would be needed also with sftp
for us.

-Tor