Re: libcurl and Mac OS X

From: Yang Tse <yangsita_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:23:17 +0100

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007, Daniel Stenberg wrote:

> My memory of this disabled poll is vague, so this made me check why we (I)
> disabled it. CVS annotate showed me it was done in configure.ac 1.149. The
> date of that commit is May 13 2005. On that date, Toby Peterson posted this:
>
> http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2005-05/0122.html

I've read the thread. And several things have changed since that date
up to now that might completely change the situation, or not:

1) Curl_select now also takes in account POLLHUP when poll()ing read
or write events. It didn't back in May 2005.

2) libcurl codebase, and internal workings, have suffered HUGE changes.

3) Back in May 2005 apple didn't document poll ? Now it does
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man2/poll.2.html

4) Mac OS X 10.4 (Darwin 8.0) has, at least, grown up to Mac OS X
10.4.8 (Darwin 8.9.1)

> I guess our test cases don't make the bug appear as described in the thread
> above. And also I'm not sure if perhaps lib/select.c could be adjusted to
> work, if the above given quirk is the only one that'll haunt us. It was easier
> to just go with select()...

It would be real nice if Daniel Johnson could find a Mac OS X version
on which curl 7.16.1 failed when using poll(). I think we need
something real which can actually be traced.

If not, of course, the conservative and safe approach is to not use
poll() on MAC OS X. The apple is on his field ;-)

--
-=[Yang]=-