Re: ECCN and curl/libcurl

From: Alessandro Vesely <vesely_at_tana.it>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 12:42:06 +0100

Dan Fandrich wrote:
> It doesn't really matter how stupid the law is--it's still the law. It would
> be interesting to find out what some of the U.S.-based Linux distributions
> have done to meet the current export requirements.

ASF gives a good explanation at http://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html

I'd bet curl's number is also ECCN 5D002, the other possibility is
5D992. It seems necessary to write them, asking to confirm.

Comprehensible explanations of the meaning of such numbers and how to
obtain them (resp.) are here
http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/exportingbasics.htm
http://www.bis.doc.gov/licensing/do_i_needaneccn.html

An incomprehensible description of the two numbers above is here
http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/pdf/ccl5-pt2.pdf