Re: new makefile for Visual C++

From: Pierre Joye <pierre.php_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 20:59:57 +0100

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 8:44 PM, Piotr Dobrogost <pd_at_curlpp.org> wrote:
> Pierre Joye wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Piotr Dobrogost <pd_at_curlpp.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I actually wrote new libcur's vc makefile after I had written new
>>
>> It would be easier to only change the perl files to use different
>> names.
>
> I'm going to stay mentally sane thus I'm not going to touch anything
> perlish :)
>
> Changing only names is easy but it's not my goal.
> We shouldn't have to change anything; we should just provide build
> config on the command line. That's what makefiles are for. I can't
> believe OpenSSL being so popular has this kind of vc makefile.
>
>> Writing new makefile for openssl can be dangerous.
> Actually using the current one can be dangerous :)
> The new one can only bring relief :)

Ever heard of the ssl bug in debian? As it was not related to
makefile, it is pretty much the same kind of risks.

And it is actually a non issue, if necessary one can rely on the
builds we provide for PHP (I can various flavors if necessary) or I
can make them available somewhere else within curl. But we should
really try to keep the upstream intact, as long they have a working
build script (and that's the case for openssl, except the broken
header with VC9 :).

Cheers,

--
Pierre