How to tackle libcurl shared library versions?

From: CP YEH <ntdev74_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 11:19:52 -0500

Hi All,

I have written a program that uses libcurl but I need some advice on
how I should bring it to customer machines.
In other words, if I build my program with libcurl3, it will only work
on machines that have libcurl3. I noticed that there are machines out
there that have different versions of libcurl shared library. Normally
it's either libcurl.so.3 or libcurl.so.4 so I want to know how I
should tackle this problem because I can't really ask customers what
libcurl version they have on their machines.
Should I just build statically but I kind of not want to do that but I
would like to hear some feedback from those of you who have faced this
issue before. Thank you.

YEH