Re: CHANGES, manual or automatic?

From: Kamil Dudka <kdudka_at_redhat.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 20:06:50 +0200

On Sunday 11 of April 2010 19:47:59 Joshua Kwan wrote:
> On 4/10/10 14:53, "Daniel Stenberg" <daniel_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> > But CHANGES is not a complete changelog of all changes. "git log"
> > contains MUCH more details. If we wanted to generate CHANGES with git,
> > we'd have to somehow mark sections of commit messages as suitable for
> > CHANGES so that the unsuitable parts could be skipped. I want CHANGES to
> > remain a fairly detailed log explain what we did and when, but it doesn't
> > have to mention everything, like comment fixes, white space edits,
> > spellfixes and things like that, that no reader will care about.
>
> How about 'git shortlog' and enforce that people should have descriptive
> subject lines for their changes?

AFAIK recommended subject length is 50 characters [1]. CHANGES, nor
RELEASE-NOTES comply that limitation in the current setup. Another
difference is that the CHANGES file has been always chronologically
ordered, git commits are not. I think something like that is possible,
but not so easily without changing format of that files first.

Kamil

[1] http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-commit.html