Zero-copy interface

From: G Drukier <gdrukier_at_afrinc.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 17:58:51 -0400

We're working on an application where we're taking a video feed off of
an IP camera via HTTP or RTSP and then processing the video in memory
without writing to disk. In order to maximize performance we'd prefer
to not have to copy the incoming data from the libcurl internal buffer.

Looking over the TODO list, I see that a zero-copy interface is at the
top, but from the mailing list archives, other than a discussion in
Nov-Dec 2005, it hasn't been much discussed. It looks to me that it
was once part of the hiper project, but dropped from that in the end.
I suppose that the detailed document linked to in the TODO list comes
from there. (http://curl.haxx.se/docs/todo.html#Zero_copy_interface)

The last note on the hiper project schedule (http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/hiper/schedule.html
) says

Note that the "new" item I wanted to add in this project, the zero-
copy interface, has been scrapped for now. It wasn't present in my
original plan and there's been very little demand from the outside
world. Also, it should be fairly easy to implement anyway as it
doesn't involve much complexities but is more or less just "straight
forward" coding.

So, has there actually been any work in implementing the zero-copy
interface? I've been poking around the code-base, but I'm not that
familiar with it yet. Does anyone have any guidance they could give in
implementing zero-copy?