Re: Infinite loop in Curl_splay

From: Christian Hägele <haegele_at_teamviewer.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 06:55:19 +0000 (UTC)

Daniel Stenberg <daniel <at> haxx.se> writes:

> What libcurl version on which operating system? And how can we go ahead to
> repeat the problem with the latest libcurl?

We are using curl-7.21.2 right now. We planned to update to curl-7.21.7 once it
is released anyway. We use just plain Http without SSL or anything else. We are
running on Windows 64-Bit.

Unfortunately I have no idea how I could reproduce this bug. It seems to be
very rare anyway. Our application creates several thousand http-connections
(and thus creates and destroys several thousand multi-handles) every minute and
this problem occurred hardly ever.
I won't rule out that we have some weired race-condition somewhere in our code,
but then I suppose it would simple crash somewhere, instead of ending up in an
infinite loop because 2 values are exactly the same.

> Right, and as the reporter unfortunately vanished and I never managed to
> repeat the problem I can't tell if the problem ever existed (ie perhaps all
we
> say was a user error), if it existed and has been fixed or if there exists an
> actual bug left in the code.
>
> The splay code has not changed much the last five years.

That's sad, because I hoped I could rule out a problem in libCurl, but now I am
not sure if that problem is in my code or libCurls code.
When I have any idea why that could have happened I will give a feedback.

Christian