Re: Support for authentication DIGEST-MD5 for SMTP

From: Gokhan Sengun <gokhansengun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 16:17:32 +0200

> There was... If I remember correctly it was around August time and whilst
> specifically it was related to SMTP at the time, we were talking about POP3
> and IMAP as well, especially as the POP3 module doesn't currently support
> any other authentication mechanisms apart from plain text user / pass
> combination :(
>
> I have a bug on me at the moment, in the software that I am working on, to
> add NTLM authentication to POP3 but this is low priority at present so if
> someone beats me to it in libcurl then great but if not it is on my to do
> list ;-)

Hey There,

I think the thread you are talking about is:
http://curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2011-08/0274.html but I could not find
specific details on DIGEST-MD5 authentication I am trying to implement.

Anyways, I have spent a few hours today to implement DIGEST-AUTH based on
RFC 2831. I am now at work and can not produce a patch for the changes but
I will send it to you from home in a couple of hours.

I have used "axigen" mail server for tests. What I am looking for is:

1- A code review to justify code's compliance with the RFC 2831
2- Improvements that could be done
3- More tests with other mail servers supporting DIGEST-MD5 to verify the
new functionality better
4- Inclusion of the code to the new curl build ;)

Thanks.