Re: Is there anyone building with cmake?

From: Kamil Dudka <kdudka_at_redhat.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 20:22:54 +0100

On Sunday 11 March 2012 17:30:39 Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> When comparing these build systems the cmake one definately wins in terms
> of execution speed. A part of that difference is explained by its
> incompleteness compared to the autotools version - and the biggest part
> probably on autoconf and configure being slow.

I do not think that the unimplemented parts of ./configure would make any
measurable speedup of the CMake-based build. The most time-consuming part
in my run of ./configure was "checking types of args and return type for
recvfrom". This check itself took even more than the whole run of CMake,
which includes this check as well.

> Our biggest problem with cmake as I see it, is the same as when we first
> incorporated it: there is hardly anyone contributing fixes to the cmake
> build system. We started three years ago with the cmake build to be almost
> on par with the autotools build at perhaps 80% level but covering all the
> popular configurations pretty good.
>
> Over time, we've continuted to get a steady stream of configure fixes and
> even many general win32 build fixes of the win32 makefiles, but hardly
> anyone fixes the cmake build files which I can only assume is because it is
> very rarely used. We also have this catch 22 - it is incomplete so people
> use the complete one instead and then nobody makes the cmake build become
> complete either.

I agree on this. Nevertheless the situation may change as time passes by.

> When we get bug reports on the cmake build system, there's nobody around to
> work on the bug or review suggested patches.
>
> Here are the currently open cmake related issues:
>
> http://curl.haxx.se/bug/view.cgi?id=3494982

This one is actually the issue I ran into and worked around by creating
the symlink. I did not know the issue had a number already. This bug
was probably introduced half a year ago -- the file src/config-win32.h
was removed from git, but not from src/Makefile.inc:

https://github.com/bagder/curl/commit/f0fae85

If the file really needs to be listed in src/Makefile.inc, we should perhaps
use a relative path to the other one (../lib/config-win32.h) ?

> http://curl.haxx.se/bug/view.cgi?id=3494970

I cannot see this warning with CMake 2.8.5. The file path suggests this was
spotted on Windows? After all, it is just a warning, not a build failure.

> http://curl.haxx.se/bug/view.cgi?id=3494968

This is a windows-specific bug, do not expect much help from me on this.

Kamil