Re: attention automatic git updaters!

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2016 15:11:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 26 Aug 2016, Kamil Dudka wrote:

> If possible, it would be good to keep git objects that existed before the
> move to curl/curl still accessible. We have many upstream commit URLs
> containing bagder/curl in Red Hat Bugzilla, using the following scheme:
>
> https://github.com/bagder/curl/commit/SHA1_HASH_OF_AN_OLD_UPSTREAM_COMMIT

The thing is, I'm not exactly sure what happens when I press 'fork' on the
curl repo but I *presume* that I will get it as 'bagder/curl' and that then
kills the forwarding to the new name.

But if that happens, the
https://github.com/bagder/curl/commit/SHA1_HASH_OF_AN_OLD_UPSTREAM_COMMIT
should still work as the commit hashes will remain the same. They'd just point
into my git repo instead of the more correct upstream repo.

Ideally I can create my own local fork of curl as bagder/mycurl and the
bagder/curl one can remain forwarding to the new place, but I'm not sure if I
can actually make that happen.

> git remote set-url origin https://github.com/curl/curl.git

Now that seems *much* smarter than my moves! =)