RE: Session ID Reuse in libcurl

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2016 10:47:52 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016, Lucas Pardue wrote:

>> You might be hitting this bug:
>>
>> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/1202264
>
> Thanks for the links. There is some interesting discussion on the Bugzilla
> ticket. We'll need to have a little think and internal discussion and
> perhaps reach out to some of the browser community.
>
> The relation to HTTP/2 connection coalescing muddies the waters a bit,
> however that is a problem beyond the one at hand right now.

HTTP/2 connection coalescing is certainly related but totally separate, as
that controls how existing connections may be used for pending requests (even
across different host names) and SSL session IDs for how to use meta-data to
restablish a connection faster.

libcurl has no such connection coalescing logic currently, but it would be
interesting to feature that at some point.

For the interested, I blogged about how HTTP/2 connection coalescing is done
(or not done) by browsers a while ago:

  https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2016/08/18/http2-connection-coalescing/