RE: Old Curl Project

From: Rod Widdowson <rdw_at_steadingsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2018 13:51:58 +0100

Don,

> A preliminary test showed that the basic Curl-7.20 version builds
> successfully on XP, however it would seem that this build is void of the
> required libraries: openssl, c-ares or zlib.

Speaking for OpenSSL and Zlib - you have to build these yourself. We recently retired our XP build (as we moved off VC10) but I know that both of those projects build OK with the older tools.

I hear where you are coming from (change as little as possible so as to keep the old thing of life-support) but as a curl consumer, I would emphasise Daniels suggestion of going to the latest and greatest (for curl and zlib at least) both these products have (IMO) a good track record of not breaking the ABI and if Daniel says it ain't broken it probably isn’t, it certainly won't be purposely broken.

I don't include OpenSSL for want of evidence to the contrary. I'll remark that out move to 1.2 was reasonably complicated but that was because of our need to dive inside OpenSLL's structures for our own needs.

FWIW
Rod