Re: Using libcurl to send shell commands through SSH?

From: Aleksandar Lazic <al-curllibrary_at_none.at>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 10:29:14 +0200

On 28/06/2018 23:49, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>On Wed, 27 Jun 2018, Aleksandar Lazic wrote:
>
>>I use `curl -v --max-time 5 telnet://...:port` very often to check
>>network connectivity as because the simple telnet tool isn't installed
>>by default on the most distributions.
>
>It seems like a bit overkill to keep support for a protocol like that
>simply for checking connectivity.
>
>Using another protocol scheme would give you almost the same
>functionality, like:
>
> curl -v --max-time 5 ftp://...:port
>
>... the difference is only what happens when it actually connects.

Full Ack.

I have just used yesterday the following line for our IoT device.

echo '55' |curl -v --max-time 5 telnet://...:port

which isn't possible with ftp(s)/http(s)/...

I can also use socat or install telnet but it was a nice feature to have
it in curl.

As I don't know how much work the maintaining of this protocol is or how
much it blocks for the further future of the curl/libcurl project.

I just wanted to raise a hand and tell you that there is a use case
where this protocol is useful.

When the decision is to remove this protocol, It's also fine for me.

I assume that such a discussion will happen for some other protocols
when it's planned to remove it from this fantastic library ;-)

Jm2c

Regards
Aleks