Re: --disable-symbol-hiding not working anymore?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 14:09:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018, Ran Mozes wrote:

> Somewhere along the way this behavior has changed and in the latest version
> these functions will show in the „.so“ file as „LOCL“ (hidden).

I don't think its due to curl's configure though. I ran 'git diff
curl-7_45_0.. -- m4/curl-compilers.m4' and it shows only *one* line changed in
the relevant macro and that only changed how it deals with the stderr output
from gcc when it checks if gcc supports the fvisibility option.

It would suggest something else changed between your two builds.

> I have tried removing CURL_CHECK_OPTION_SYMBOL_HIDING and
> CURL_CHECK_COMPILER_SYMBOL_HIDING from configure.ac but it didn’t work
> around the issue.

I think that only further strengthens my hypothesis. This is your
compiler/linker or something that now does this - by default?

If you use 'make V=1' when you build libcurl, you get to see all the command
line options it uses. If -fvisibility=hidden is in there (for clang or gcc),
then it's curl's configure that still does it. If not, it's something else!