cURL / Mailing Lists / curl-meet / Single Mail

curl-meet

Re: Organizing the curl meeting (was Re: Curl meeting)

From: Dan Fandrich via curl-meet <curl-meet_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2016 23:09:24 +0200

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 12:14:09PM +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2016, Dan Fandrich wrote:
>
> >Even something simple like sandwiches should be enough and keep cleanup to
> >a minimum. People won't be coming to the conference for the lunch!
>
> Yeah, sandwiches are probably a good option since they tend to be fairly
> easy to eat without requiring too much of kitchen equipment like china or
> cutlery.
>
> Meanwhile, I created this mailing list:

> It's not linked to from anywhere yet but should work, and posted mails
> should end up in an archive that can be displayed once I set that up.

I've joined and am sending this message there now.

> >A SEPA money transfer with an IBAN directly to somebody's EU bank account
> >should be pretty easy. At least in Germany, that's how just about
> >everything is paid out, and with little to no fees. Maybe that plus
> >Paypay for everyone else.
>
> Yes, sounds like the beset way. IBAN is generally fine with Europeans and I
> imagine we won't get too many from outside of Europe interested in coming
> and for those we can do paypal.

That should make it easier.

> >Something like that sounds about right, but we should get some firm
> >figures for food & T-Shirts first. Another thing to potentially offer is
> >printed (& signed!) copies of Everything Curl. There are lots of
> >print-on-demand places that could do that. I wouldn't be afraid to charge
> >a bit more for the swag; the T-shirt bought directly costs 20??? not
> >including shipping, and a signed curl book is just priceless!
>
> Right, it mostly comes down to having to contact places that can print such
> products, figure out how many, put down money before-hand and deliver them
> so that we won't have to carry them with us...

I assume that Teespring isn't very competitive for bulk T-Shirts then? I can
ask around to see if we have found a good local source at work. I haven't had
experience with print-on-demand books, but Lulu.com is the first name that
comes to mind, but there are plenty more. It might take a bit of lead time in
order to get the book print ready and even get a sample copy printed before
printing a bunch more.

I took a quick look at the PDF for the first time and it looks great! I
noticed a few things that might not translate directly to a printed copy,
though. The table of contents doesn't list page numbers, only section numbers,
and the cover would probably look a bit off balance printed on a paper book
without larger margins around the edges. A print version should also have a
prominent date or version number or something on the cover to make it clear
what edition it is; but then the electronic version should, too, but I didn't
notice one right away. Can the gitbook workflow generate a more
dead-tree-read output?

>>> Dan