Re: Opinions on the naming of a new option?

From: Daniel Stenberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_cool.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2019 19:13:10 +0100 (CET)

On Sun, 17 Nov 2019, Rich Gray via curl-users wrote:

> And this is plain -Z or --parallel?

-Z is the short form of --parallel.

> Would --parallel_multiplex=n (or shorter --parallel_mx=n) with n=1 describe
> this mode. --parallel_mx_only[=n] prevents additional connections? Maybe
> just --multiplex[_only] ?

There's already the "--parallel-max [num]" that sets the maximum number of
transfers to do simultaneously.

I want the new option to be prefixed with "--parallel-" simply to make it
really clear this option changes how parallel transfers are setup.

> Yeah, parallel is ambiguous. You're trying to distinguish between
> multiplexing over connections and multiple connections, but don't really
> name either method.

Well, they're command line options. They can't fully explain what they do in
their names. They should just be as good as possible without being overly long
or confusing.

> I wonder if it would be possible to use options in the rc file to set up
> what -Z means?

What's so bad with --parallel ? It asks curl to do the transfers in
parallel...

--
  / daniel.haxx.se | Get the best commercial curl support there is - from me