'--socks5-hostname' and 'CURL_DISABLE_PROXY'

From: Gisle Vanem via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2022 14:26:58 +0100

I just had a somewhat scary experience with curl
trying to use Tor's SOCKS5 built-in proxy to connect via.

Seemingly all was well and secure with this command:
   curl.exe --location --socks5-hostname 127.0.0.1:9050 https://www.vg.no

I got the page, but definitely not securely via Tor since
everything was built with '-DCURL_DISABLE_PROXY'. No warning
or anything.

The above command via the 'curl.exe' bundled with Windows-10
also made me wonder. I do not know how Microsoft built it.
I had to use 'tcpdump' to verify it indeed was using 'SOCKS5'.

So what in 'curl -V' is there to tell it's safe to use with
Tor in this way? Some additional 'Features: SOCKS5' would make
it a bit clearer IMHO.

--
--gv