Naming ETag files?

From: Paul Gilmartin via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2023 12:53:19 -0700

I would like to save my --etag-compare and --etag-save (probably the same
name) files with names generated from the --remote-header-name; perhaps
as simple as "$remote-header-name.ETag". Is there an orderly and reliable
way to do this?

I'm not entirely optimistic because I suspect the if-match may need to be
processed before the is available.

As an alternative, is it possible to use "--write-out %{filename_effective}"
without actually downloading the resource? I could then use
"$filename_effective.ETag" to name my ETags.

Thanks
--
gil