Re: Support (lib)ICU for IDN

From: Daniel Engberg via curl-users <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 10:52:37 +0100

On 2023-01-15 13:14, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 3:24 AM Daniel Engberg via curl-users
> <curl-users_at_lists.haxx.se> wrote:
>>
>> First of all I'd like you thank everyone involved for such a great
>> piece
>> of software. Would it be possible to consider adding ICU support for
>> IDN? It's a well represented in many distributions and platforms in
>> addition to utilized by many projects including libpsl so I think it
>> would be a nice addition to curl.
>
> Be careful with ICU. It fails to build from source on some platforms
> on occasion. When it fails to build, dependent software becomes
> unavailable to install. See, for example,
> https://www.google.com/search?q=ICU+FTBFS . (FTBFS is Failure to Build
> from Source).
>
> Libidn2 and libunicode usually build on all platforms. I don't recall
> them failing to build from source or blocking other software.
>
> Jeff

To be fair that applies to any dependency and one would assume that any
major package repo have some kind of CI check in place to avoid
breakage. Additionally it wasn't hard to find relatively recent breakage
of libidn2 for various reaons in package repos using a search engine so
I think the argument in that case is moot.

Best regards,
Daniel